A luxurious sampler of silk and silk blends, this kit will have you conquering fears of spinning silk in no time! Silk can be challenging to handle on its own, but it is also gorgeous, soft, strong, shiny, and completely worth the effort to learn how to use it. Yak and baby camel are also challenging on their own, as they are quite short and fine, but the addition of silk makes them a bit easier to work with and is absolutely stunning to behold. All fibers in this sampler are undyed and presented in their natural states, ready for your experimentation or dyeing pleasure!
This sampler includes:
- 1oz of 50/50 tibetan yak down / mulberry silk
- 1oz of 50/50 baby camel / mulberry silk
- 1oz of mulberry silk
- 1oz of tussah silkåÊ
- 10 g of silk hankies
for a total of ~4.4oz of silken fibers.
This sampler would be perfect for:
* dyers who want to sample dying with silk - it eats up color like you wouldn't believe, and is truly a dyers delight
* spinners who want to sample spinning with silk - spin a fine skein from each blend, and knit, weave, or crochet it into a gorgeous shawl or wrap
* fiber artists who want to start making their own blends on hand cards, combs, or drum carder - a little bit of silk goes a long way and will at strength, sheen, and luxury to your projects
WARNING: These fibers are *incredibly* soft, and upon opening the package, may cause squeals of delight and uncontrollable urges to pet the fiber or hold it up against your face or neck for long periods of time. I like to describe the yak/silk and camel/silk blends as "so soft you can barely even feel them". If you'd like to eventually spin the fiber, make sure you caress it gently during this phase so the fibers stay all aligned ;-)
Classy Squid Fiber Co. fibers are designed to provide a wonderful spinning experience, but would also be gorgeous if used for felted designs or as accents in weaving. My Organic Polwarth & Falkland wools are sourced from the Falkland Islands, UK, where the sheep are raised free of pesticides & chemicals in a pristine environment. Fibers are hand-dyed by me, Amanda, in my smoke-free, pet-free studio using professional grade acid dyes. I do my utmost to run my dyeing studio in an environmentally-friendly manner.
To care for your creations and avoid felting, hand-wash your items in warm (not hot) water with a mild wool wash such as Eucalan or Soak, without agitation, and allow to air-dry.